Because of its special research problems and resources, in a sense the Military Border region can almost be considered a ninth region of Donauschwaben settlement.
The Croatian Military Border, comprised of Karlstadt, Warasdin and Banal, and the Slavonian were in 1878 joined as the Kingdom of Croatia and Slavonia.
The Banat Military Border, with the Tchaikist Battalion (formed in 1763) in the Donau-Theiss-Winkel region which had previously been part of Slavonia-Syrmia, was in 1872 transferred to the Kingdom of Hungary and constituted parts of the counties of Bacs, Temes and Krasso.
Regiments included the Deutsch-Banat Regiment Nr. 12 which was raised in the western portion (between the Danube and Weisskirchen) and the Wallachian-Illyrian regiment Nr. 13 which was raised in the eastern portion.
In the Batschka, this region included the communities of Curug, Djurdjevo, Donji, Gardinovci, Gornji Gospodjinci, Iwan, Josefsdorf, Katsch, Kovilj, Kowil-St. Lok, Mosorin, Nadalj, Neudorf, Novi Sad, Titel and Vilovo.
The Transylvanian Military Border consisted of Szekely (formed 1764) and Wallachia (formed 1766) and by 1851 had been transferred to the Grand Duchy of Transylvania.
Restrictions on immigration into the border region may have been relaxed c. 1815-1816. A German community was founded in Franztal in 1816, for example, primarily by people from Batschka and Banat.